Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011



Anyone reading this blog must wonder what a robin looking in my window has to do with Mother's Day. I am now almost convinced this is my mother in the form of a beautiful bird visiting me on this special weekend. I woke yesterday to this robin watching me from the window in my bedroom. I thought surely it was a one time thing but this went all day long. It wasn't just my bedroom window, when I would go into the living room it wasn't long the bird would be watching from my porch. Back to the bedroom, sure enough, soon the bird would appear. This went on all day long. As you can see, I even got close enough to snap a bunch of photos. The puppy-dog eyes were just begging me to let her in but I really didn't want bird poop all over my bedroom or I probably would have. Also at times, the little birdie would sit on my car window (again poopy) and act like she wanted to get in and have me take her for a ride. My mother's favorite thing to do was go for a ride and somewhere along the way stop for a soft ice cream cone that she would take so long eating that it would pretty much be melted. At first, I thought it was just a coincedence, but again this morning early at my window was the robin and this time she had a partner with her. They took turns standing on the ledge looking and watching me get ready for church. Waiting patiently for me on the window ledge when I returned from church, my little robins. I am now convinced it is a visit from my mom and dad just letting me know I am not alone on this special day. Thanks mom and dad for the company.


Because I was in McCall and Boise last weekend and gas is like filling my tank with liquid gold, I didn't go visit children this weekend so all day long I been reminiscing of when I really was a mother and had a home filled with laughter, song, teasing, and an occasional punch. I decided to list some of the things I remember most back when I really had to act as a mother. Now, I enjoy just being "Nana" and not have to be the mother figure I was for many years. I enjoy watching my own children take on that role and me just stand by and enjoy the payback.


These are just a few memories I have when I had children at home: Our drives in the car when we would sing and play games; playing hide and seek at my parents home; bike rides and playing at Holt arena; Saturday soccer games; Sunday evenings watching our favorite tv show: Life Goes On; trips to Lagoon and staying as long as possible to get our money's worth; the many, many ball games where I was so proud to be "the Nead's mom."; the band and choir concerts where I was just as proud; games around the kitchen table where everyone cheated except me; everyone helping with the children we tended in our home; Sunday's with the Belnaps and our weekly grilled cheese sandwiches; our bedtime routine where I would sing my mother's lullaby and tell the same boring story till all was quiet; our move to Teton Valley and how well everyone adjusted and quickly made friends; our Christmases at my parents home and the arrival of Santa with everyone wearing new pajamas; our Thanksgivings with the Manwarings and Manwaring reunions together with mom and dad; the pride I felt every time my little family performed together; my children bearing their testimonies every fast Sunday;


I could go on for pages but I just wanted to list a few of my fond memories. The last memory I would like to list is that of the joy and sorrow I felt each time one of my children left home and me hoping I had taught them life skills they would need in order to survive in the world. Apparently I did something right, as I have the greatest children anyone could have and I am so lucky to be their mom. I love you Nichole, Jessica, Spencer, and Kelly. You are my life and you have made my life one I will cherish forever and ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holey CRAP! I lost my comment two times. My comments are getting shorter each time. Here goes...

"Great blog post!" to the Bestest Mommy in the Universe!

We had a fantastic childhood. I am constantly amazed by your strength, courage, and happiness through adversity. WOW!

I love you Mom. You inspire me to be a better Mommy. Happy Nana's Day!