Sunday, May 22, 2011

Robin update

I need to add an update on my little birdie post I did on Mother's Day. In the last two weeks my little robin has attempted to build a nest above my porch light. Many times the wind has blown the nest down but she never gave up. Last attemp she was successful and I sat in my mothers favorite rocker and watched her as she finished it off. She would add sticks then move around in a circle as she cemented them down. I don't know how she ever made it stay where it is but she managed to get it in perfect sight of my watchful eyes as I sit and rest in mother's rocker. She watches me from her perch and up until today, every time I stood up to try and get a photo she would fly away. The last few days she has spent a lot more time there and seems to be more hesitant to leave the next. If she leaves, it isn't long before she is back. I think she must have layed her eggs and knows she can't leave them unattended for very long. Today, I was able to sneak up on her and snap this photo before she could fly away. I think she is realizing I am not going to hurt her or steal her eggs. I have been tempted to climb up there and look in the nest but I am afraid she will attack me. If ever I am on the porch, she is watching intently from the tree that is close by and squacking the whole time. She is definately acting like an over protective mother. I can't wait until the little birdies hatch. I will have to use the back door to avoid getting attacked. I used it as often as I could today to not disturb her. I will keep a running post and it will be interesting to see how long it tackes before the eggs hatch.

One more short post. I have to get this on record that last Friday afternoon was my afternoon from He**. I had planned a 90 minute activity for my sixth graders that was inspired by the show the Amazing Race. I had clues to each little activity I had planned and assumed it would take each of my eight teams about 10 minutes to complete the activity (which was inspired by the show Minute to Win It). I had nine activities and had some of them planned outside the school (bad idea because it has rained or snowed for the last 30 days). The first disaster happened as one of my leaders took her folder outside with all the clues and the wind immediately blew them all over the yard. Crap!! It all went downhill from there. I had parent volunteers helping with each station and I think they thought they were helping the teams by letting them complete the station as soon as possible. To make a long story short, each station only lasted about 4-5 minutes instead of the 10 I had planned and with 45 minutes left in the day I had 70 11 year olds that needed to be entertained. I couldn't send them back to class as this was a success party and that would not have been a good time for them. I ended up running relay races in the lobby of the school as by now it was pouring rain outside and the gym was being used by the p.e. classes. I have to say, that was the longest 45 miutes of my life. I'm sure I will get a call to the principals office tomorrow and I know I will burst into tears the minute I walk into his office. Lets hope he takes pity on me if I show a lot of remorse. It probably wouldn't have been so bad except there were a lot of rug burns on elbows and knees and some over hyper boys almost broke the glass doors. Only 3 1/2 days to go and a few months off. I have more time off that expected after tomorrow. Later.

No comments: