Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend from the past

Yesterday (Sat) I took a trip back in time. It was the Shelley Spud Day celebration and I usually go down to see old friends and remember my many years at Spud Day and the many parades I got to participate in. First, I got to Rigby in time to see most of Keayen's flag football game that Kelly coaches. I enjoy seeing my boys coach as much as I enjoy watching the grandsons play ball. Kelly has a good team and I wish they could challenge Spencer and Max's team. I don't think Spencer's team has lost or even been challenged - mainly because all the dads are former football payers and their boys look like sons of football players. Maybe they could meet in the middle (Burley) and have a friendly little game on neutral turf. (And the competition between my boys continue except in a different fashion). I don't think it will ever happen though but it would be fun.
After the game, I jumped in my car and rushed to Shelley in hopes of getting in on the end of the parade. I got there in time to get a parking spot at the end and probably got to see about half of it. I looked over next to me and there was a little golf cart with two older ladies sitting in it with a young girl driving. I took a second, longer look and realized one of the women was who I could call my second mother. They lived just down the road from me in Jameston and I think I spent more time at their house with my best friend than I did at my own house. I went over to her and told her who I was, but I don't think she could quite understand. We visited about the past but she still didn't quite comprehend but it was sure fun to see her.
By now, Kelly and Becca had arrived and had surprised me with the fact they were coming down. The knew I went down every year and decided to join me this year. We got to have corn dogs for lunch (a little pricey but you pay for the atmosphere) and an Indian taco. Then, I took them over to the potatoe picking contest and conned Keayen into participating. I can remember the many years I spent in the spud fields picking potatoes and I wanted my grandchildren to experience picking spuds and trying to dump them in a gunny sack. He was a good sport and agreed to pick potatoes just for his nana. We missed his age group so he went with the next age group up but you couldn't tell the difference. He is a tall boy and some day he will realize what an advantage that will be to him. For never picking potatoes, he did a good job and even got the hang of dumping the spuds into the gunny sack. I don't know how he felt, but I was very entertained and it took me back to the years that I won the potatoe picking contest pretty much every year.
From there, we went over to the activities which were not you normal carnival rides but jumping toys. The kids each got to pick about three each and paid a dollar for about a minute on the toy (which we had to stand in line for about 15 min for each one). By now, it was time for Keayen to get back for a birthday party so the family piled in their van and off they went. I tried to locate some old friends but couldn't find them so headed back to my mountain home here in the Tetons. What a fun day I had and it brought back a lot of old memories.

No comments: